A Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) is a term used to describe an evidence-based model of schooling that uses data-based problem solving to integrate academic and behavioral instruction and intervention. The integrated academic and behavioral supports are delivered to students at varying intensities (multiple tiers) based on student need. “Need-driven” decision making seeks to ensure that district resources reach the appropriate students (schools) at the appropriate levels to accelerate the performance of ALL students to achieve and/or exceed proficiency for college and career readiness.
RtI has consistently been defined in Florida as the practice of providing high-quality instruction and intervention matched to student needs using learning rate over time and level of performance to make important instructional decisions. MTSS involves the systematic use of assessment data to most efficiently allocate resources in order to improve learning for all students. To ensure efficient use of resources, schools begin with the identification of trends and patterns using school-wide and grade-level data. Students who need instructional intervention beyond what is provided universally for positive behavior or academic content areas are provided with targeted, supplemental interventions delivered individually or in small groups at increasing levels of intensity. Within a multi-tiered system, all school-based efforts such as lesson study, universal design for learning, and continuous school improvement are unified and accelerated by collaborative teaming to result in increased student achievement.
Statewide MTSS projects, including PS/RtI, FLPBS: MTSS, and Technology & Learning Connections, collaborate to provide training and technical assistance support by:
- Utilizing district-level needs assessment data to determine training and technical assistance supports to be delivered
- Developing an inter-project strategic plan to address district needs based on needs assessment data
- Collaborating on supporting district’s efforts to implement their plan to scale-up MTSS as needed
- Providing necessary training and technical assistance from inter-project collaborative staff to district-based leadership teams
- Evaluating effectiveness of training and technical assistance by inter-project collaborative staff and district-level outcomes/impacts
For more information on Florida's MTSS, go to Florida's Multi-Tiered System of Supports website.